KALENIK LISSIUK COLLECTION

(also Kalenyk Lysiuk; real name: Vasyl Lepykash)
Scope: 1948-1973
Size: 3 vols., 1 folder
Language: English, Ukrainian

The Lissiuk Collection contains an autograph book, two volumes of correspondence and photographs. The correspondence in volume one includes letters from the Republican National Committee, chaired by Albert B. Hermann, and from United States Senators H. Alexander Smith and Robert C. Hendrickson, thanking Lissiuk for his support in gathering Ukrainian votes during election campaigns from 1948 to 1952. Lissiuk was also actively involved with the Ukrainian Republican Committee of the State of New Jersey. Additional letters pertain to Lissiuk's involvement with The John Birch Society. The John Birch Society was a private organization founded in the United States on December 9, 1958, by Robert H. W. Welch, Jr., for the purpose of combating Communism and promoting various ultraconservative causes. Lissiuk, once he moved to California around 1953, continued to correspond frequently with Republican congressmen and senators. The second volume of correspondence reflects Lissiuk's activities for the Congress of Freedom.

Lissiuk's autograph book contains signatures from various military and political figures, such as Avhustyn Voloshyn, Iuliian Revai, Ivan Bahrianyi, Dmytro Doroshenko, Ievhen Konovalets, Roman Smal-Stotskyi, Mykola Kapustianskyi, and Dmytro Antonovych. The collection also includes photographs of the Plast Ukrainian Youth Association, the Ukrainian National Museum in Chicago, Ukrainian Free Cossacks, the Army of the Ukrainian National Republic, as well as individuals such as Iurii Horlis-Horskyi, Prince Serhei Mezhev, Stepan Smal-Stotskyi, and Jozef Tiso.

BIOGRAPHY

Kalenik Lissiuk was born to Vakhtam Lepykash and Frozyna Dudarchuk on August 18, 1889 in Bubnivka, Haisyn county, Podilia gubernia. During the First World War he served in the Russian army, and during the revolutionary period (1918-1920), in the UNR Army. He emigrated to the United States in 1923, and became a citizen in 1929. He ran the K. Lissiuk Philately Co. in New York from 1924 to 1944, and later set up the N.U Manufacturing Co. and an investment firm. He invented a specialized concrete block machine in 1938. Lissiuk also actively participated in the Ukrainian-American community. He founded the Ukrainian National Museum in Ontario, California in 1954 and served as its president until 1958. That same year he established the Ukrainian-American Foundation and presided over it until 1974. Lissiuk was a member of various Ukrainian organizations including: Wake Up America, the Ukrainian Republican Committee of the State of New Jersey, the United Ukrainian American Relief Committee, the Union of Ukrainian Veterans, and the Congress of Freedom. He was also a benefactor of many Ukrainian cultural and educational organizations in Europe and the United States. In addition he edited several journals, compiled stamp catalogues, wrote several political pamphlets, and contributed articles to the Ukrainian press. Lissiuk died on August 12, 1980 in Chicago.


BACK