Size: .3 c.f.
Language: Ukrainian, English
The Petro Moroz collection is comprised of records related to his involvement with Ukrainian organizations in Boston, Massachusetts, such as the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, the Ukrainian Congress Committee, the Ukrainian National Association, and the Zaporozka Sich Society. Overall the collection is useful for studying the Ukrainian community in the Boston area, particularly the development of its Ukrainian Orthodox Church. The collection includes correspondence, clippings, financial records, programs, and photographs. Among the photographs are images of the Ukrainian Bandurists Chorus; the Ukrainian Holy Trinity Church Choir of Boston; the Ukrainian National Association, Boston Branch; the Zaporozka Sich Society, Boston; and the church and parish members of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church both at its former Arlington Street and current Jamaica Plain addresses.
Petro Moroz was born in Ostashivtsi, Zboriv region, Galicia. He emigrated to the United States in 1929, and settled in Roslindale, Massachusetts. Moroz was active in the Boston area Ukrainian community. He served as president of Branch 238, Ukrainian National Association; head of the Fundraising Committee for St. Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox Church; co-founder and secretary of the Boston Branch, Ukrainian Congress Committee; and member of the Zaporozka Sich Society. Moroz worked as a repairman at the Sullivan Shops for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority from 1942 until his retirement in 1967.